Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Not-so Perfect Parent

I know that I am not the perfect parent but I always have my kids' best interests at heart. However it hurts tremendously to have the fact that I am not perfect pointed out my others. Some things I have learned to accept in the intent in which they are given. Such as the school one year giving my kids coats because they thought they needed them not knowing that they had coats. The coats may have not be in perfect condition  but they worked. I finally accepted that that act was not an attack on my parenting skills but genuine kindness toward my kids.

This week I had a genuine attack on my parenting skills. What hurts the most about it is that the accuser did not feel they could talk to me. The problems pointed out were ones we were working on correcting and the accuser would of known that if they had bothered to talk to us first. While things have worked themselves out, I have lost trust. The problem is that I don't know who I cannot trust anymore and that makes me doubt some people, albeit momentarily, that I shouldn't have cause to doubt. I have never been concerned that much about what people think of me but now I have to think about it. I have to be the parent others want me to be and not the parent that I am.

I hope that those who love my children will always have the courage to address me directly if they see a problem. It may be a problem I am already addressing or even one that I could not see without the help of an outside viewer. So I send this plea out to the universe; please talk with me first about anything. Please do not go behind my back because that will hurt me worse than having you address me directly. I may be angry at first at the perceived attack but once I step back I will accept it with the love it was given. Hopefully my wishes will be respected.

Thank you

1 comment:

Robin said...

Please remember, the things others say about us are a statement of who THEY are not who WE are. You do not need to parent for others. They are your children. I don't know them well, but just watching them interact with you and others, I can see the tenderness and goodness of their hearts. You are doing a very good job in a tough situation. I'm sorry someone was thoughtless, selfish, and mean to you. Please don't doubt yourself. There are more of us behind you than against you, I promise.