Monday, November 10, 2008

My Accident Prone Little Boy. . . .

So my little boy (my baby), C, has a broken toe.Yesterday after his morning nap, I went to put his shoes on him so that he could go outside and "help" his daddy and brothers clean up the yard, but he was fighting me putting on the first shoe so much that I said forget it you can stay inside. Well while DH and the other 2 are outside - we sit down and start playing. He found a sock and wanted help putting it on his foot, and then he'd take it off and we would do that over and over. So I went to put it on his left foot (I had been using the right up til then) and noticed his big toe was rather swollen. I got DH opinion of it and at first he said it didn't look too bad and he wasn't screaming in pain when I touched it, just flinching a little. I first thought he bruised it but then DH saw him standing and said it looked a little crooked and that was all the encouragement I needed to load him up and head to the urgent care at the hospital. We were there from 1:30 to 4:15, but we got our diagnosis - a broken toe.The night before we were putting together his toddler bed and this is one my dad made and he's a woodworker and makes log furniture, so it is sturdy but the pieces are solid, not too heavy for me but heavy for a 19 month old. All 3 boys were in the bedroom before we got the bed together and we heard a crash and then Cole cried for a little while. I am sure and have got confirmation from the other 2 that a piece of the bed fell on his toe. My poor little boy, and of course I have had to replace the splint they put on him twice now and my MIL did it once and he's supposed to stay off of it. How do you keep a 19 month old from walking??? With the splint he seems to be crawling more now anyway but when it starts to feel better, I better look out. Fortunately I had some Tylenol with codeine left from when he hurt his finger and gave him some of that before bed and he's on ibuprofen every 6 hours. I just don't know what I am going to do with my little accident prone boy.

No comments: