Friday, September 19, 2008

Hospital Stay and Dead battery.

Sorry that I have been MIA lately, but the following story (that I posted on Mothers Without Judgement) will tell you why I have been this week.

So, Wednesday night and everything was going well. I got home from work early and was hanging out with my boys. DH had the boys (mainly R.L. and Q but C was playing too) clean out the pop bottles for recycling from our van. Thinking nothing of it. Then I come outside and check on things and Q tells me that C was drinking oil and spilt it all over the seat and steering wheel. So I start freaking out and asking Q to get the bottle C was drinking out of and show it to me. It took a while for Q to get it and it was Brake fluid. DH had bought it a long time ago for the van and forgot it was in there (it wasn't full). The cap had been on but it was not child proof. Somewhere during this time I noticed that C had throw up on his pants and I am assuming that he puked after drinking the Brake Fluid. So now I am on the phone with poison control. The nurse I was talking to had to consult with her doctor and her doctor had to consult with a board certified toxicologist and eventually they got back to me. Through all of this C is fine, nothing wrong with him, and he sat down and ate his dinner. So poison control gets back to me gets back to us and the verdict is since we don't know how much he actually drank and it can cause some pretty serious issues that he needs to go to the hospital. So DH and I load up C and drive to the ER (my MIL lives with us and was watching the other 2). We got to the hospital and poison control had called ahead. He needs an IV catheter, fluids, and bloodwork. They decide to keep him overnight for observation. He has to get his blood drawn (they poked his finger) every 4 hours. We were in the ER for a while, while they were cleaning a room for him. By this time this little boy is exhausted. All his labs came back fine. He was discharged at 8 am the next morning. I wasn't with him at discharge because DH took the day off but insisited that I go to work (I am a veterinarian). I went to work but my boss promptly took all my appointments and sent me home for the day. Then I went back to the hospital and they had just discharged C, so I took everyone home. Both C and I crashed when we got home (we didn't sleep well). Then they drew his blood again at 4 pm (we had to take him back to the hospital for that). He is fine. He never acted sick, just gave us a big scare.

Then to top things off. Last night was finally settling down and that was great, but I get in my car to go to work this morning and it won't start. My DH is already at work and his car does not run (he took the van) but does have a brand new battery. So I went to try to take the battery out of my car and put the new one it but I can't get my battery out of my car. Then using 2 sets of jumper cables I connected the 2 batteries and could get enough juice to get my lights on but it still won't start. Finally (after bugging my hubby 3 times at work), he is able to sneak out and jump my car. Well then after a few minutes connected, it does actually start. I drove it to work and let it run for 10 minutes once I got there. Then I go to get in it to go get lunch and it won't start again. I walked to Subway for lunch and will get a jump before I leave but I will have to let it run for 30-60 minutes to re-charge the battery. I have to have a car tonight because I am on-call and DH is leaving right after he gets off work to go pick up my SIL and neice (they are coming over for a week long visit). Maybe I'll just take the vet truck home.

1 comment:

Jen said...

HOLY CRAP WHAT A WEEK YOU'VE BEEN HAVING!!!! I'm glad C is ok. What a scare! He's had quite a few "adventures" this year...