Friday, January 23, 2009

This morning. . . .

Actually this all started yesterday but what upset me occurred this morning, so I guess I should start at the beginning:For a while now we have noticed that R. L. (my eldest) stands really close to the T. V., so last week my husband got this idea in his head - what if he has a vision problem? So I asked him specifically if he has trouble seeing the T.V. and he said, "yes" and then I asked him if he had trouble seeing the chalkboard at school and he said, "yes". Well, of course, that was enough evidence that he needed to get his eyes checked. Both me and my husband wear glasses. My mom got glasses in 3rd grade and probably needed them earlier - but no one noticed. So yesterday was his appointment with the optometrist. I blocked myself off on Wednesday, the day I made the appointment, later in the afternoon to go to R. L.'s appointment yesterday. The appointment was at 3:10 p.m and I was blocked out from 2:45 - 4:00. After I left on Wednesday, the receptionist scheduled an appointment for me at 4:00, which I didn't know about until yesterday morning when I got to work. No big deal - I'll just leave R. L.'s appointment early and get to my appointment at 4:00. So I am at R. L.'s appointment and my receptionist calls me and tells me that T (my boss and the other vet) will see the appointment. I thought great, now I can stay for the whole thing. I still had to go back to work because I had an appointment at 4:45 but that's okay. This morning T was talking to me about how the client she saw for me took time off work to be at this appointment and that I should of been there. I told her I was planning on being there at 4:00, when the appointment was. She said she thought his appointment was at 3:30, but no it was at 4 and I explained to her that I had blocked myself off until 4 and the appointment was scheduled at 4. Then she asked if anyone else could of taken him. I told her that R took him, I just wanted to be there. I mean it was his FIRST visit to the eye doctor. I left because at that point I was upset. I just wanted to be there for R. L. and she made it sound like I was neglecting my job to do that, when I had that time off BEFORE the appointment was scheduled. I was debating about not going to R. L.'s appointment when I saw that the 4:00 appointment had been scheduled, but I really wanted to go, so I thought I'd have enough time. Granted that T. came in and told me that she wasn't upset just wondering when I started to write this post but that still doesn't erase the fact that I feel like a moron and, now, guilty for going to my son's eye appointment. I know that I shouldn't feel this way and just get over it but it's hard to and right now I just needed to vent, so thanks for listening.
On the plus side - R. L. has a slight astigmatism but nothing that needs glasses at this point. He'll be checked again in a year. However, at his age he should be able to track an object with his eyes and not move his head but he was having trouble with that. So she's wants him to get some vision therapy to help his eye muscles get coordinated enough for that. He's had issues with similar things in the past - delayed development of fine motor skills and some gross motor skills, and he gets speech therapy at school still - so that is honestly not surprising. The doctor explained that kids that need the therapy are usually ones that are labeled as hyperactive at school and it does impair his ability to focus and be successful at school, so it's good that we caught it.

Thanks for listening to me.

P.S. If there had been an appointment during the time that R. L.'s appointment was I would not of gone to the appointment. Just wanted to clarify that.

No comments: