Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Dare to be Bold (Day 7 of 30 Day Writing Challenge)


Our arts, our occupations, our marriages, our religion, we have not chosen, but society has chosen for us. We are parlour soldiers. We shun the rugged battle of fate, where strength is born. – Ralph Waldo Emerson

“Next to Resistance, rational thought is the artist or entrepreneurs worst enemy. Bad things happen when we employ rational thought, because rational thought comes from the ego. Instead, we want to work from the Self, that is, from instinct and intuition, from the unconscious.

A child has no trouble believing the unbelievable, nor does the genius or the madman. Its only you and I, with our big brains and our tiny hearts, who doubt and overthink and hesitate.” - Steven Pressfield, Do the Work

The idea of “being realistic” holds all of us back. From starting a business or quitting a job to dating someone who may not be our type or moving to a new place – getting “real” often means putting your dreams on hold.
Today, let’s take a step away from rational thought and dare to be bold. What’s one thing you’ve always wanted to accomplish but have been afraid to pursue? Write it down. Also write down the obstacles in your way of reaching your goal. Finally, write down a tangible plan to overcome each obstacle.
The only thing left is to, you know, actually go make it happen. What are you waiting for?
(Author: Matt Cheuvront)

I guess the one thing I have always yearned to do is publish a book. It is scary to have that out there for all the world to see, but there it is. I would love to publish a book.

The obstacles: Well let's see #1 would be talent. I don't have a talent for writing or shall we say the creativity to make something others would want to read. Poetry is my strong suit but even then it is only so-so. #2 would be time. I have 4 boys and a small house so getting time to myself to actually write is next to impossible. #3 would be connections to a publisher, someone to submit a manuscript to .

Ways to overcomes obstacles: #1 - I could take a writing course or two but the main thing would be to write daily. To exercise my creative muscles and there might me something there but that also ties in to obstacle #2, time. I could do what I am doing now more often, write outside where the boys can play and I am not distracted by seeing all that has to be done in the house. I could try to stay up later or get up earlier - both have been tried before but never really successful. I can "steal" some time after work to go somewhere and write but I feel guilty for that. #3 - I could always send out all my manuscripts blindly to publishers and hope they actually look at it. I could find groups to join on social networking sites that can help me to build my creativity as well. Back to obstacle #1 - another part of that is my scientist mind of logic and reason it is hard to overcome that. Difficult to resolve my scientist self with my "artistic" self. I hope that through practice I can blend the two together to overcome that obstacle.

Hopefully I will be able to put plan into action.

Today's Sentence: There is something about me that yearns for the wilderness.

No comments: